Thursday, February 21, 2013

Getting around

So the inside lane goes all the way around to exit crossing three lanes, the middle lane does whatever it wants, and the third lane takes the first exit off the round about.  This is part of my new driving lessons. I feel like I'm 16 again navigating and learning new rules for all these roundabouts.  Ive only gotten lost once, like - where the hell am i lost - not im on the wrong street lost.  im on the wrong street everyday...cause all signs are in arabic.  I count roundabouts to figure out where im going.  Driving to Jamie's school is simple but watch out for camel crossings.  The camel farms are near the Oman border near her school.  Speaking of Oman!  i got stuck at the Oman border with two girls in my arms for 2hours.  The attendant made me get out cause they were frustrated with me.  Apparently i wasnt doing something right.  Who me? Not my kind of excitement.  The drive is rugged, desert brown land, but the mountain across the street from the school is majestic.  I love that drive.  The radio plays everything in Arabic, as they should, but when the rare American song comes on, the girls get excited to hear a piece of home.  Home...the girls miss home, until they get into one of three pools, then all is forgotten. Me, I'm good taking it all in, trying to remember names and getting our permanent housing set up. Still in a hotel for now living out of a suitcase. Still feels like a vacation.
- Jeff

1 comment: