Saturday, February 9, 2013

People

We have met many teachers here from New Zealand with great accents who call McDonald's fries "chips."  I was invited to a room where people were playing ukuleles and singing.  They handed me a guitar so I had to join in fumbling with chords of Irish songs.  I did learn how to play the ukulele quickly.  Just an awkward sing along all together.
We take a taxi just about every where in our new city of Al Ain...till we figure out the bus system.  We have learned taxi drivers really don't know where anything is.  They may circle around the block then say, "I don't know."  Driving is nuts.  There are round-abouts everywhere with people maneuvering through three lanes around the circle.  I felt like we were drifting (fast and furious).
Many of the women are covered head-2-toe in abayas on the body and the scarf on the head.  I can't wait for Jamie to try it out.  She doesn't have to but...
The kids haven't really asked about this or why the men wear these skirts going commando underneath.
The minority group here are people from India.  I'm trying to learn names but sometimes the names are long.  Luckily, men are just named Mohammed.  I beat a guy named Mohammad in ping pong today.  He gave me a look...I thought, what have I done?
And then there are Americans. We are in a hurry and we demand a lot.  We have learned to slow down and be patient.  Nothing is done fast here except when they drive.  That's where they release all their patience. - Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment