Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Beginning of the end

This time next week we will be back in a fancy hotel for two weeks just like we arrived two years ago.  Again, we have sold all possession with the exception of what we stuffed in 4 suitcases.  Without carpets on the marble floors, the house echoes with children playing and pretending to have toys we sold a week ago.  I even sold the Christmas tree for 120 dirham! ($32US).
We played trivia last night with a couple who arrived with us and will be leaving with us.  We formed a bonding friendship that will span from New Zealand to America.  We were with another couple as well who we bonded with over the summer at the pool.  Since then we have been enjoying their company in our house or theirs.  

This is what make leaving hard - people.  Yes, perfect year round weather is attractive but gaining new friends, learning their jargon, new languages, and sharing experiences have helped us fall in love with the UAE melting pot.  I played tennis with friends from Ireland, Canada, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Finland, America, New Zealand.  I shared Bibles in Hindi and Sinhala.  I've learned a few words in Sinhala, Finish, and Malayalam.  Jamie teaches Arabic kids all day so her Abrabic is far greater than mine.  Our kids could care less where their friends are from and they still don't look at people in color...yet.  

It is ending as it started.  I am on a bed in an empty house waiting on flight status and wondering what the future holds.  I've been job hunting since September.  That is a process I haven't been a part of in 14 years.  I had more connections back then with different groups.  Now I feel like I'm starting from scratch.  When we get back to Georgia, we will continue to rent out our house in Sharpsburg and live with my dad in Woodstock.  We are now debt free and will leave with a good savings.  I have a security job lined up until I find a permanent job I really want.  

Our family is spoiled by the great weather so we are looking for some place warm to live.  Jamie prefers Hawaii, I'd settle for Texas or Arizona.  But for now we wait.  Canceling Visas, turning in paperwork, canceling services, and waiting on payroll is our final steps.  This week Jamie is in teacher training and will finish with her students January 25.  That another goodbye.  Her student love their American teacher with the beautiful hair.  So do I!



No comments:

Post a Comment