Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Graduation!!

AWESOME! This is one of my words to describe the fifth grade graduation today.  My babies (yes I consider them mine b/c I fell in love with them fast), celebrated their last days in elementary school.  Here it is called cycle 1. I had tears in my eyes several times today. The girls get their hair & make up done professionally and they wear what we consider to be prom type dresses. They were all soooo beautiful!! I felt like a proud mom. They sang their national anthem while several played instruments. They sang an Arabic song and an American song (did a great job). They showed a PowerPoint with pics throughout the school year, they performed a skit and received diplomas and a gift.  Mostly it was similar to what we do in the States.  None of the dads come, it is a mom, daughter type of event.  As the mothers and sisters, etc., are sitting and watching they are being served tea, coffee, water and cookies.  Very neat and normal in this culture.
I made it thru my first school year here in the UAE!! I had an awesome year with great girls and I would not have changed it.  One of my students gave me a dozen roses and they were beautiful.  This will be something I will always remember and I thank God for allowing me to be a part of another culture.  As the school year ends, I get sad, but then remember next year will be another great experience and I cannot wait!!  - Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment